By utilizing a State of Emergency declaration, the San Diego City Council recently voted to extend eviction moratoriums for renters affected by COVID-19. At the same time, Governor Gavin Newsom signed legislation SB-91 to extend state wide eviction moratoriums.

Read Coverage of The Legislation

What does this mean for property owners? Below is a brief summary, or click HERE for a more detailed description.

Statewide Temporary Ban on Evictions

  • Tenants throughout the State of California cannot be evicted if non-payment is due to COVID-19 pandemic-related reasons from March 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021.
  • Landlords are required to provide a notice to tenants who, as of February 1, 2021, have not paid one or more months of rent that was due during this time period.
  • Tenants are required to provide their landlord a Declaration of COVID-19-related financial distress within 15 days of receiving notice from their landlord and are required to pay at least 25 percent of the rent they owed from September 1, 2020, through June 30, 2021.
  • Federal funds provided to the State may be available to pay up to 80 percent of a household’s unpaid rent for the time period of April 1, 2020, to March 31, 2021. Landlords who accept this payment would give up their right to the remaining 20 percent of unpaid rent. The past-due rent would be considered paid in full.

The new legislation requires landlords to provide an informational notice to all residents who, as of February 1, have one or more outstanding rental payments due on or after March 1, 2020.

This form must be delivered to residents no later than February 28, 2021.

Click For The Informational Notice of COVID-19 Tenant Relief Act Extension And New Rental Assistance Program

City of San Diego Temporary Ban on Evictions

  • The City’s temporary ban on evictions will take effect on July 1, 2021, the date after the State eviction ban expires, unless the State further extends its eviction ban.
  • The City eviction ban will remain in effect until 60 days after the end of the City’s COVID-19 State of Emergency declaration which is an as of yet undetermined date.
  • Tenants would still be required to provide proof of hardship associated with COVID-19 and rent owed during the period that is not repaid would be converted into consumer debt.